In December, the European Commission presented a coordinated plan prepared with Members States to foster the development and use of AI in Europe. The BDVA, in which the working group of Prof. Dr. Klaus Pohl is an active member, welcomes the plan of the EU.
The plan provides for a significant increase in public and private investment in AI. The main objectives and efforts of the plan are as follows:
- towards a European AI public-private partnership and more financing for start-ups and innovative small and medium-sized enterprises
- strengthening excellence in trustworthy AI technologies and broad diffusion
- adapting the learning and training programs and systems to better prepare the society for AI
- building up a European data space
- developing ethics guidelines with a global perspective and ensuring an innovation-friendly legal framework
- security-related aspects of AI applications and infrastructure, and an international security agenda
You will find the KI plan of the European Commission and the related documents here:
BDVA welcomes the coordinated action plan. It is aligned with the recommendation of BDVA published in a KI position paper in November. Dr. Andreas Metzger from the working group of Prof. Dr. Klaus Pohl was involved in the preparation of this paper. The paper particularly identifies the application potential of AI in industrial application areas such as manufacturing, transport and logistics.
You can download the KI position paper of BDVA “Data-driven Artificial Intelligence for European Economic Competitiveness and Societal Progress”
The Big Data Value Association (BDVA) is an industry-driven international not–for-profit organization with 200 members all over Europe and a well-balanced composition of large, small, and medium-sized industries as well as research and user organizations. BDVA is the private counterpart to the EU Commission to implement the Big Data Value PPP program. BDVA and the Big Data Value PPP pursue a common shared vision of positioning Europe as the world leader in the creation of Big Data Value. Dr. Andreas Metzger is BDVA Deputy Secretary General.